Tuesday, February 13, 2007

My Seventy-fourth Post

Somebody asked me why I’m not writing for the Board now-a-days. I wrote the following in response. When I realized I haven’t blogged in almost a week, I decided to post it here as well.

As to my relationship with the Board, it's only sensitive in my own mind. On one hand, I would love to write for the Board again. I'm just afraid that if I ask Yellow, he'll say something along the lines of "Thanks very much for your offer, but no thanks." Then I would be crushed and feel depressed about it. [**RUN-ON SENTENCE WARNING**] On the other hand, he might say yes, and I'm terrified that if I start writing for the Board again, I'll slack off and not fulfill my quotas, thus disgracing myself in the eyes of our illustrious editors, making them regret letting me come back.

So maybe I should just follow the precedent set by other alumni writers and slink off into the sidelines. But living with krebscout makes that hard. :) She's always dragging me to writer gatherings and such. Which makes me miss the Board all the more. I'm constantly worried that other writers resent my presence at these gatherings, but nobody really says anything, and I enjoy them. So I persist in my attendance. I suppose I'll stay where I am for the time being-- many of the perks of being a writer (the social ones, at least) without any of the responsibility. We'll see how long that lasts. :)

1 comment:

Thirdmango said...

Oh yes, the sociallity of it without actually being a writer is pretty nice. Even though I didn't actually write for the board, being a part of the social scene without having a responsibility along with it is actually quite nice. Good luck.