Sunday, February 19, 2006

My Ninth Post

I made cookies today-- a whole batch. They turned out well, which was a big relief, since my chocolate chip cookies are rather finicky. Now I have to figure out what to do with them.

I also watched A Beautiful Mind today. It made me think about my life-- I will never be considered for the Nobel Prize. But I’ve come to terms with that; I'm sure I’ll have other accomplishments to show for my life. The problem with accomplishments is that they expire too soon. All of the hard work I did in high school is completely meaningless now. Who cares what I scored on my ACT or what my GPA was? Things that I did when I was 17 have no significance in my world now. I wish I could hang onto those things for just a little while longer. But, I guess it's better this way. Now I have to work hard in what I'm doing right now-- to try to achieve bigger and better things. Maybe I wouldn't be motivated to work for those things if my ego continued to be placated by my past accomplishments. Despite what I may pretend, I do a lot of things to receive recognition from others. That’s not the only reason I do things, but it certainly is a contributing factor. So I was right in saying that my ego motivates me. It’s constantly screaming for some proof that I’m superior to others in some way. And lately, it hasn’t been getting much proof. Oh well, just more motivation to do better.

I like the titles of my posts-- that I define each post as mine. I especially like the possessive quality of ‘my’ because it helps to remind me that I’m not writing for anyone else. This belongs to me, and only me. It's mine.

No comments: