Thursday, March 08, 2007

My Eighty-first Post

So I successfully switched out my hard drive with the one my dad sent me. Yay! And it only took me about an hour to figure out what the administrator password was so I could actually use “my” computer. It's definitely nice to have a computer around, but I've got to admit that a part of me is sad that it's back. I mean, I went an entire two weeks without the convenience of having a computer to satisfy my every whim. I had to think about song lyrics, instead of just looking them up. I had to plan my time better so I could print off a worksheet I needed for class. I couldn't check my email every twenty minutes. And as annoying as that was, it was also kind of nice.

Up until my freshman year of high school, I wasn't allowed to use the Internet at all—not even for school projects. My family didn't believe in it, as ridiculous as that sounds. Eventually they gave in, and just before my junior year of high school we finally got Internet access in our home. Getting the Internet represented a radical change in the way things were done. I'm sure we all remember having to look things up in the encyclopedia or getting books from the library about subjects we were interested. It was a process and a commitment to learning that I have only distant memories of. Now, if I come across an allusion to something I don't recognize, all it takes is a quick trip to Wikipedia: an instant source of knowledge with no commitment at all.

My elementary school used to have a contest each year with a set of questions that you had to use library resources to research and answer. The questions would be things like the inauguration date of some president, the phone number of a local business, or the ideal planting season for a certain plant. I remember one time I actually had to use a rhyming dictionary to answer one of these questions. I can guarantee that they no longer hold this contest, because the Internet has made it obsolete—every question could probably be answered with about half an hour in front of the computer. It's sad that today's kids will miss out on experiences like these.

So maybe I’m just nostalgic. Maybe I’m pining for the good ole days. I’m sure I’ll get over it. Especially when I realize I have two weeks’ worth of catching up to do on my favorite websites. Mmm... Toothpaste for Dinner.

3 comments:

Genuine Draft said...

I hear what you're saying - I own my own set of encyclopedias at home and I miss them.

Martin said...

I remember back when our family didn't "believe" in the internet. That was pretty strange.

Also, a half an hour to look up one of those questions? I thought you were good at finding stuff on the internet.

Mean Mommy said...

Half an hour to look up all the questions. Silly Martin.

I remember when I first heard of the internet. In a computer lab at school, my Senior year of high school.

I think I'll teach Princess (and her successors) how to write a report using books and note cards.

Hey...my verification word is dnamyk. I think it's a comment on your blog.