Saturday, December 09, 2006

My Forty-ninth Post

So I have an alarm clock. Unfortunately, there have been issues with it lately, in that it hasn't been waking me up. I've narrowed it down, and I think I've figured out what the problem is: it is in the kitchen, while I typically sleep in my bed.

Yep, that'd do it.

There is a reason for this; it may not be a good reason, but it is a reason. See, I like having music on in the background when I'm doing "stuff." Since I tend to do a lot of “stuff” in the front of my apartment, it’s handy to have my CD-playing clock radio out there during the day. By the time I’m ready to go to sleep, I realize that if I try to take my alarm clock back into my room, plug it in, reset the time, and set the alarm, I will most definitely wake my very light-sleeping roommate who will then be annoyed with me. So I usually decide it’s not worth it and attempt to (a) find someone who is going to get up early enough who is also willing to wake me up or (b) borrow H’s cell phone and set the alarm on that.
I ended up borrowing H’s cell phone on Thursday night on the condition that I wake her up before I left for class. Overhearing this, C asked if I could also get her up when I got up. So on Friday morning, I woke up to the charming little alarm on H’s cell phone, crept into C and H’s room, and woke up C, being careful not to disturb H (so that she could sleep uninterrupted until she needed to be awake). I then set about making breakfast and such. After a few minutes, I realized that C had fallen back to sleep, so I gently reminded her that she really did need to get up. I then took a shower, and when I got out, I discovered that C had gone back to sleep yet again, so I proceeded to throw back her covers, open the blinds, and threatened to get a glass of ice water if she didn’t get up. C was then finally awake enough to realize how late it was getting, and thanked me for making sure she was actually awake. I finished getting ready for the day, and left for class, proud of myself for being such a good roommate.

It wasn’t until about 3 hours later that I remembered that I had never woken H up.

I had a break between classes, so I hurriedly went over to where I knew her 11 o’clock class was, and was slightly relieved to see her there. However, she did not look happy with me. She had not woken up until 10 minutes after her first class had already started, so she had arrived almost a half an hour late, ruining her plan to finish her homework during the lecture. So much for being a good roommate, huh?

Anyway, the moral of the story is: don’t keep your alarm clock in the kitchen.

In other news, I spent about an hour last night hiding amongst the bookshelves in the library. Don’t worry, I wasn’t compromising my standards. I hardly ever see my good friend N anymore because she’s so busy, so when we ran into each other last night, we wanted to talk. We didn’t want to disturb anybody, so we held our conversation deep in the bowels of the fifth floor of the HBLL. It was one of the best conversations we’ve had in a long while.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh. So that's what you were doing in there. I was wondering.

bonbon said...

bowels? That produces a gross image. I don't like it.