Saturday, March 27, 2010

The Distracting Artful Edit.


I recently read somewhere that "it is hard to say what you really mean without having another go - an indulgence daily life seldom allows." [Be more specific about source? Is link necessary?]

I think this is one of the reasons I like digital mediums for communication so much. [Reconsider word choice: "mediums for communication"?] I can take time to decide what I want to say, punch it up with some witty humor, revise and rethink, and then when I am finally satisfied, publish hit send. Of course, sometimes I still say something dumb, but at least there are a few extra safeguards to keep my foot out of my mouth.

I don't have a major problem talking to good friends in person. For one, they know me well enough to still like me even if I say something ridiculous, and I will eventually have a chance to correct any errant assumptions they logically derive from my thoughtless
assertions. [wordy; consider simplifying]

But around strangers, I get flustered. As we know, some people's
good opinions once lost, are lost forever [Pride and Prejudice reference? Really necessary?]. Sometimes I start talking just because I feel inclined pressured to say something, and end up saying something I don't mean at all. Or I say something that makes sense in my head, but to a newcomer uninitiated to the inner workings of my twisted mind, it is altogether senseless. Sometimes I'll even end up deliberately saying something completely contrary to my own opinion just to push the conversation forward in an interesting direction. [insert humorous incident here]

Texting, IMing, blogging, and emailing all give me a chance to reflect before I commit myself to speaking (though I admit I may not always take advantage of that opportunity). While I find this enormously comforting, I worry it means I have even less practice expressing myself in true conversation. [Are so-called "digital" conversations less valid?] Maybe it's a crutch, but one I can't really separate myself from.

And now, for lack of a better way to end this post, a baby eating its own foot:



[Baby ending = cop out. Reconsider a solid closing paragraph that will bring post to an obvious conclusion about ideas discussed.]

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I know exactly what you mean, love. I often feel like I'm "trying out" phrases or comments. More often than not, they do not fit, and it's too late to take them back. Sure, doing this in front of strangers is all well and confusing, but try pursuing attractive men in this manner!

Pride and Prejudice reference is necessary, and you should know that I caught the end of it on television this morning while I was feeling sorry for myself.

And yes, you are hilarious and witty.

Strawboat said...

This made me smile. :D

bonbon said...

HAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!! This one's my favorite. And I know exactly what you mean. I revise my texts a million times before I actually send them. Especially when the end goal is to be funny or witty. It takes work, you know.

Mean Mommy said...

Yeah, I'm more interesting and way funnier online. I've had people notice a difference (people that I know who have added me on facebook...).

I couldn't even type this response without editing. And it is still oddly phrased...can I start over?