Friday, February 29, 2008

My One-hundred-and-forty-seventh Post

So I spent last weekend with my sister, Martin.

Martin was moving apartments (mainly because she has a deathly fear of scorpions, which tended to be overly friendly at her old apartment), and I jokingly committed to come and help her with all the heavy lifting. I make these offers all the time, and when she confronts me about not showing up, I present her with an excuse about hitchhiking, or train derailments, or some other type of disaster which prevented me from fulfilling my commitment. But this time, due to a combination of mild homesickness and cheap airfare, I actually ended up going out there for three whole days! Yay!

Several other members of my family drove up to help as well, and it was a good thing too, because Martin is a wimp when it comes to moving heavy objects. My sister Mean Mommy and I ended up doing quite a bit of the hard work, mainly to prevent my Dad from hurting himself trying to do it. And to give you an idea of how some of the moving went, I have provided you with this rare archival footage:



Yeah.

So anyway, I ended up having many other fun adventures like going to IKEA for the first time, sleeping with a cat curled up on my face, using my engineering prowess to assemble lamps and bookshelves and swivel-y chairs, convincing Martin that she really did need to be able to see the TV from the kitchen, mistakingly using shampoo instead of hair gel, and lots, lots more!

It was a good weekend, and I've spend the last several days trying to catch up on everything from sleep to work to school stuff. But it was totally worth it.

Hooray for spontaneity.

1 comment:

Mean Mommy said...

Tee hee. Shampoo instead of gel...

Wait...which one am I? I assume that was Dad going up the stairs first...

And you forgot to mention who found you such wonderfully cheap airfare. That's what you get for saying, "Sure, I'll come down, if you can find me tickets for $XXX." Never underestimate my deal-finding skills again. ;)