Thursday, November 08, 2007

My One-hundred-and-thirty-second Post

My budget for this month is entirely shot to you-know-where. I spent too much on shoes, birthday presents, play tickets, and now I only have $4 left of my discretionary budget. I’ve been debating whether to use my “extra” $50 to buy groceries, or if I should just tough it out and live off of my “food storage” until December. On one hand, there’s really no reason why I shouldn’t use the $50—this is sort of what it’s there for. I budgeted it so that if I end up with extra expenses, there’s a safety net to keep me from diving headlong into my savings when cash runs low. But I also need to admit that I spent too much on luxury items this month. If I punish myself by limiting my spending for the rest of the month, then maybe I’ll be more reserved in my future spending. I also need to consider that Thanksgiving is this month, and I’ll be going home for about a week. That technically should reduce my grocery $ needs, but I have a feeling I’ll be spending all the money I would have saved by hanging out with my sisters and being frivolous with money. *sigh* So I guess I’ll tough it out until I go home, then spend my $50 frivolously, and then try to be better next month. But everyone knows I’m no good at being thrifty when it comes to Christmas. Dang it! Stupid holidays.

2 comments:

Tangerine said...

I can teach you how to live entirely off of free food.

Martin said...

This weekend I am going to help our nieces and nephew paint ornaments. Maybe they will make some extra for you, so you can have some free Christmas decorations. (I know it isn't food, but really, what's more important?)