Saturday, October 27, 2007

My One-hundred-and-twenty-fifth Post

I stayed up until 5am this morning reading. I didn’t stay up because the book was so absolutely amazing I couldn’t put it down. I just felt like staying up all night reading. So I did. The problem was finding a place to curl up for the night. My room was out because the roommate had a headache and I figured forcing her to sleep with a bright light on would be a bad thing. The living room was out because the other roommate and her sister were watching a movie and being girly (aka loud and giggly). So I ended up going next door with the hope that it would be a bit more accommodating. It looked good at first—krebscout asleep on the couch, Uffish typing serenely on her computer, and the love seat piled high with blankets and pillows. But then Uffish wanted to chat. And as much as I usually like it when people talk to me about their lives, I just wanted to read. So I disengaged and returned to my warm little hollow. The chat continued without me for a while, but eventually everyone quieted down. I stayed there reading until I decided it was time to go home. I continued reading through most of the night in my living room. And it was really fun. I may have been a little sore this morning after sleeping on the couch. Other than that, though, I was very happy with the way I spent my time.

3 comments:

Rach said...

I LOVE Goose Girl! I just finished rereading it this weekend. :)

Martin said...

Staying up all night is fun. Last time I did that was in Tucson, and then I made our brother (I forget the nicknames you use) get up at 5:30 to go to the store with me to get food. We made a huge breakfast for everyone, except when we were all finished, it was still only about 7 a.m. And apparently, no one in that house is up by then.

Mean Mommy said...

I liked the Goose Girl too. I think I actually did stay up really late reading it. The only bad thing about staying up all night reading...is that kids have no pity on you the next day. As a matter of fact, you pretty much have to decide if the staying up in the quiet hours to enjoy your book is worth the inevitable disasters that will occur when the children realize you're not quite coherent. Some books are worth it. Sometimes the quiet time is worth it.