Thursday, April 17, 2008

My One-hundred-and-fifty-fifth Post


A few weeks ago, Martin and I were watching video clips from The Onion's "News" Network. We especially found this one amusing, in which China celebrates its pollution levels being so high. Apparently, lots of pollution means lots of technological advancement.


"The labor of the people has made the sky black with the smoke of progress"


So I was taking a quiz on recent news headlines, and since I was chatting with Martin at the time, I shared it with her.


Me: I'm taking a quiz, and one of the questions reminds me of the Onion clip on China. "China has been revealed as the world's biggest polluter, in an authoritative report to be published next month. Which country has it overtaken?"
Martin: Tibet
Me: Um, no. The US.
Martin: China has overtaken the US?


Yes, Martin. China is now in control of the US. I guess I'd better brush up on my Mandarin. Hen Gao Xing Yu Xian Ni.

(This is a good example of how you can answer a question correctly, but still be completely and utterly wrong.)

2 comments:

Mean Mommy said...

Tee hee.

And here, all I can say is "Ni hao Kai Lan!" (That's Karen's favorite show.)

Martin said...

I was wondering why they were throwing in all that pollution stuff right before the question. I just didn't connect that it was part of the question.