Thursday, February 03, 2011

Tips for a Happy Life

So the place where I work has a tip jar. A lot of people just drop in their change, and a few regulars sometimes throw in a little more. At the end of each shift, we split it up and everybody usually ends up with a dollar or two and large handful of change. Which I take home and put in a jar.

I kind of thought it would be cool to just keep the money in there forever and see how much I could collect. But, um... it was getting really full. And there is really no point in that kind of "saving," is there?

No, I didn't think so.

So last night I took it to the grocery store and turned all the coins into an amazon gift card worth almost $50. (If you use a CoinStar machine to get cash, they'll charge you a 10% fee. But if you are willing to accept a gift certificate instead of cash, there's no fee.)

So this is what I got with my tips:




The Ender's Shadow Series Box Set AND the Ender Quartet Box Set. Plus, I still have like $40 in one dollar bills. Any suggestions on how to spend it?

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Those dollar bills are just begging to be used at a strip club, don't you think?

Holly K said...

Probably. Otherwise people will just assume I *earned* them at a strip club.

Martin said...

I thought you were saving those up for a kitchenade mixer thing. So you can make me delicious things.

Strawboat said...

chuck e cheeses

bonbon said...

Amazing Holly! I was wondering when you were going to be a blogging again. I would use the change for clothes and shoes! Let me know how they Ender's Shadow series is. We just finished reading Ender's Game in my sophomore classes and they LOVED it. 16 year old boys can't get enough of that kind of stuff. And based on yoru latest purchasing decision, neither can you :)

Heather said...

Time for a new post. :)

Martin said...

I agree. I mean, how else am I supposed to know what's going on in your life?