Wednesday, August 01, 2007

My One-hundred-and-fifteenth Post

I know I haven't blogged very much recently. I really don't feel like writing anything new right now, so instead of a thoughtful and humorous blog entry, I offer you the contents of a word document that's been sitting on the bottom of my screen for a week or so. I don't know what else to do with it.

Two girls stood outside the theater in the sparse shade offered by a nearby tree. The sun glared off the sidewalk, causing the taller girl to squint as she looked down at her friend.

“They’re going to let me take trig/pre-cal next year,” she said, suddenly.

The shorter girls eyes lit up. “Really? That’s awesome, Rhiannon! Maybe we’ll be in the same class. What period are you taking it?”

“Um… actually, I’m… I’m not going to Sabino."

The shorter girl’s eyes clouded over in confusion. “UHS? I thought you were on the wait list.”

“Yeah. They called last week to let me know I got in,” she said guardedly. “I wonder where Allison is.” Rhiannon turned to search the parking lot for Mrs. Brown’s little VW Rabbit. “She’s going to go to UHS, too,” she added casually.

“I know. She told me that the last week of school. ”

The girls stood there in silence for a short while. Rhiannon continued to watch the traffic on the street in front of the theater while the shorter girl surreptitiously tried rearrange her shirt into a more flattering position. A slight breeze temporarily alleviated the heat rising up off the sidewalk, causing Rhiannon to glance up at the sky. “Do you think it’ll rain?” she asked her friend, hopefully.

Her friend jumped at this sudden question. “Probably not,” she predicted, casually tucking her bra strap out of sight. “It usually doesn’t rain until the beginning of July, so we’ve still got a few weeks of this heat.”

“I’m never going to get used to summers here,” Rhiannon complained.

“You’ve been here for three years! You’d think you be used to it by now. I think that’s Allison,” she said pointing to a car turning into the parking lot.

No comments: